Millions of people suffer from eye jumping either left, right or both. It could be intermittent or may be because of a sudden increase in stress or discomfort. Even right eye jumping can interfere with day to day life and yes it could be very disturbing if continued for 3 or more days. It is officially classified as benign essential blepharospasm (BEB). Right eye jumping superstition is persistent.
There are a lot of superstitions for what it mean when your right eye jump in every culture. Every culture has its own list of beliefs and deeper significance.
Old days superstitions still exists especially in India and Greece. The origin for right eye jumping superstition is from Sumer 3000 BCE and the references shows it is from Egypt. Started from Europe, it has made its way and soon spread everywhere.
The biblical meaning for right eye jumping is they carry a jealous spirit and can curse one another. Such as 23:6 states “Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meat.” However, the older superstitions around the eye denotes that the left eye is the eye responsible for good fortune and the right eye can cause envy.
Americans thought if the eye jumps involuntarily, the person will weep and the right eye jumping means son you’ll strike a deal for all the reasons. It will make you angry. Left and Right eyebrow twitching also has great significance in the superstitions.
What It Mean When Your Right Eye Jump?
- Right eye jumping means someone is walking on the place where you are about to get buried.(The Frank C Brown Collection of NC Folklore Vol. VII)
- Lower part of the right eye twitching indicates that happiness will be yours. (London Press vol 3)
- If the right eye waters it can mean gossip
- In India, it is believed that when right eye jumps, it means good fortune. Good for men and bad for women
- If your right eye jumps, you are going to hear good news. (Roberts 1927: 161)
- The lower bottom right eye jumping can indicate that you will see an old friend
- If your right eye jumps, you’ll see someone you haven’t seen in a long time
Right Eye Jumping Astrology
Right eye jumping superstition for male is good and bad for females that is by Indian belief system. For chinese, it is interchangeably. Twitching of right eye is also a signal from our subconscious mind to give us a hint about our future. Many references are there from books like Ramayana. The Nigerians go with the Chinese version. Left eye – bad. Right eye – Good.
Medical Reasons for Right Eye Jumping:
- Different bodies react differently to stress and anxiety. Some feel it as twitching of body parts, whereas others may have insomnia. Eye strain is the most responsible factor for eye twitching.
- Lack of adequate amount of sleep, get enough sleep of 6-8 hours.
- Excess intake of caffeine and alcohol triggers eye spasms. So, try to cut down on caffeine as much as possible.
- Dehydration can cause dry eyes. When our eyes are too dry, they might involuntarily start twitching to keep them moisturized.
- Right Eye Jumping can be caused by eye strain. Mostly, if the eyes are too stressful to read and overuse of computers and phones can cause it.
- Rubbing of eyes produce histamine and it is a known cause for eye jumping.
- Vitamin D and B12 deficiency.
- Neurological disorders.
Basically, the right eye twitching suggests you need to protect yourself from evil vibes. It is said that eye twitching is normally caused by the muscle spasms within the eyelid. Eye twitches can also be caused by certain conditions such as stress, air pollution, strained eyes or fatigue.
Kids are at more risk than adults and the only way to protect them from negative vibes is to tap their head. And, In India and Bangladesh, people mark a black kohl mark behind the child’s ear to protect them. In the eastern tradition and some Mediterranean countries, many people carry the glass blue eyes and in Jewish culture, they tie a red tie to prevent themselves from right eye jumping superstition.
Do you have a family superstition for eye twitching? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.