Throwing salt over the right shoulder to avoid bad luck is one of the oldest ways to avoid bad luck. But why do you have to throw it over your right shoulder? Folks believe that if you throw some salt on the windows and threshold of a new house, you can protect it from the evil eye.
Are you someone who believes in eye twitching superstitions and its bad luck if black cat crossing your path?
In biblical times, salt was an expensive commodity. Spilling salt was almost a sacrilegious offence. The offender would throw salt over his/her left shoulder to ward off the devil
Going back to ancient Rome, the European belief in the ill-luck that comes from spilled salt is quite old. Throwing salt over your shoulder is an old tradition. According to superstition, spilling salt is bad luck, and throwing a pinch over your shoulder reverses that bad luck.
According to Charles Nodier, among “savages”, the “action of spilling salt … indicates among them the refusal of protection and hospitality from strangers as they may have reason to suspect are thieves and murderers.”
Salt is often considered a powerful mineral because of its close associations with the ocean, purification, and preservation. Because of this it is often considered incorruptible or has the power to fix corrupted things with throwing salt over the right shoulder. You must put the devil behind you or risk the same consequences. Most ancient societies used the mineral in rituals of purification.
What Happens If You Spill Salt?
- The spilling of salt on the table says a few, on the floor, say others, is unlucky.
- To deflect misfortune when you spill salt, toss some of it over your left shoulder.
- To turn away misfortune when you spill salt, toss some of it over your correct shoulder utilizing the left hand.
- Ignore the bad luck if you spill salt, drop some of it into the fire, or on the stove. Some state you should not talk between the spilling and burning.
- To turn away misfortune when you spill salt, consume some of it while wishing the misfortune on an enemy.
- On the off chance that you spill salt, you will before long cry – before sleep time say a few, preceding the day is overstate others.
- Whoever spills salt will before long be irate without reason.
- After you spill salt, you will have a quarrel.
- On the off chance that you spill salt, you have an obscure enemy.
- On the off chance that you spill salt, a foe needs to turn into your friend.
- The individual who spills salt will soon lose a friend
- It is unfortunate to get salt and the solution is to throwing salt over the right shoulder.
- The individual getting salt will consistently be poor.
- Putting salt on someone’s food or “helping them to salt” could bring bad luck to them.
Some common beliefs about spilling salt superstition:
- Salt (not kitchen salt, pure salt) can cleanse crystals, like Rose Quartz, Amethyst, Carnelian, and more.
- Salt is an auspicious substance in Hinduism and is commonly used in ceremonies like weddings.
- In Jainism (Jain religion), an offering of raw rice with a pinch of salt means devotion.
- In Wicca, it’s symbolic of the element Earth. It also cleanses an area of harmful, negative energy. A dish of salt and one of water are on most altars, and salt is used in many rituals.
You need to be careful with salt if you know what’s good for you. Spilling salt is bad luck. Every grain of salt you have spilled, is a tear you’ll shed later. We would love to hear about your superstitions and meanings about throwing salt over right shoulder superstition.