Best Red Wine in India Under 1000: Wine is the fermented juice of grapes. The mesmerizing red shade of the best red wine in India under 1000 comes from the skin of grapes whereas white wine comprises grapes without the skin. Affordable wine bottles are one of the ideal options to keep at the food table, whatever the occasion is but wine can work wonders.
Generally, red wine in India compliments heavier, denser foods like or maybe some snacks like French fries, Hot dogs, Chips and Salsa, Pizza, or whatever one prefers.
Wine bottles have already become a part of our lives and there are so many red wines in India under 1000 to gift for special occasions and make them memorable. After reading this blog on wine, you’ll surely know which is the best wine to spend money on.
“Wine is the only artwork you can drink” – Luis Fernando Olaverri.
Before getting started with this basic guide and list of best red wines in India under 1000 Rs. let’s know the basic difference between Taste, Flavor, and Aroma.
They all sound the same…right?
Taste is considered as the senses inside our mouth including the tongue. It could be anything like Sweet, Salty, Bitter, and Sour or may be mixed.
Aroma is the smell that our nose characterizes by those tiny compounds in the air. Red wines in India has a strong aroma as it carries the aroma easily. Fruity, Sweet, Spicy, Herbal, Mineral, and Floral are some common aromas of red wine.
The flavor is the final impression of wine by combining both the Aromas and taste.
Wine in India under 1000 is made by crushing and fermentation of grapes. They are collected and then crushed with natural sugar in the grapes with yeast that proceeds to ferment and ultimately creates alcohol.
Best wines in India are meant to be served at different temperatures like Pink or rose wines should be served at chilled temperatures at around 7-13 degrees Celsius (7-13 degrees Fahrenheit). Red wines are good at about 20-25 degrees Celsius (68-77 degrees Fahrenheit).
Better to keep White wine and Sparkling wine in the fridge at 5 degrees Celsius, or 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Buy wine glasses set that goes well with the mood and occasion:
The best red wine in India under 1000 should always be poured in a perfect glass…isn’t it?
Many types of wine glasses are available in the market, either traditional or fun.
On one hand, a fun red wine glass goes well for a party but traditional ones complement formal occasions. Wine glasses are supposed to be more fuller and rounder with a larger opening generally to enjoy its aroma primarily.
Here is some wine glasses name in India with their specialties and reason to go for.
- Cabernet– Perfect one to magnify the taste of Indian wine under 1000 as they are created perfectly to enjoy because of their shape.
- Burgundy- They are a bit broader than the Bordeaux glasses but they hold the aroma of wine beautifully. The taste of wine can be fully taken with these glasses.
- Bordeaux– The tallest red wine glasses whose shape ensures the best possible drinking experience.
- Zinfandel– It has a slightly larger rim to let us enjoy the complete flavor and smell of wine.
- Pinot Noir– They have the widest bowl among any other wine glasses online. Yes, they have slightly shorter stems yet provide amazing flavor for the wine.
- Rose– These glasses make sure to not let pass heat from our hands to the wine. To some extent, they allow the sweetness of the wine to be increased.
Health Benefits of Red Wine
Grapes are richer in antioxidants like Resveratrol, Catechin, Epicatechin, and Proanthocyanidins that can even reduce the oxidative damage in the body. Major red wine health benefits are reduced inflammation, blood clotting, heart disease, and even cancer.
It is beneficial for cardiovascular health and also increases the good cholesterol (HDL) that restricts the cholesterol buildup. Red wine reduces blood clots and prevents the cells from maturing. One of the main red wine benefits for women is it prevents breast cancer by reducing estrogen levels. Resveratrol in red wine is beneficial for protecting damage caused by carcinogens.
Red Wine has many health benefits but only when you drink in moderation. Drinking a glass of red wine can improve your immunity by warding off infections. It has higher levels of silicone that is great for bone density; decreases the risk of osteoporosis. Cabernet Sauvignon has a higher level of resveratrol.
Best red wine in India under 1000 can also help in making you less depressed and in women’s it can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
However, like 2 sides of a coin, drinking too much red wine can even make you alcohol dependent and leads to alcoholism. Liver cirrhosis, Depression, Weight gain, and risk of getting diseased are other side effects of having too much red wine.
What is the Average Percent Alcohol in Wine?
Drinking one glass of red wine can be relaxing but not a full bottle. Not all wines have the same red wine alcohol percentage, it differs from brand to quality. What decides how much wine one should have is red wine alcohol percentage.
So, this is an interesting topic to focus upon as the excessive limit of red wine alcohol percentage is 23% (alcohol by volume). How much are you drinking?
Some factors that affect the red wine alcohol percentage are Wine style, Climate, Quality level, and also the location where the grapes grow. With the highest red wine alcohol percentage, Port or thunderbird ranks on top of the list. It would be better to have just half of the glass with this much red wine alcohol content percentage. German Kabinett and Italian Moscato d’Asti are light-alcohol wines.
To check red wine alcohol percentage, taste it and the warmer and bolder taste resembles the higher ABV wine. It also might give a burning sensation to your palate. A wine hydrometer would also be great.
- Moscato d’Asti 5.5% ABV (lightly sparkling sweet white from Italy)
- Brachetto d’Acqui 6.5% ABV (lightly sparkling sweet red from Italy)
- Kabinett Riesling 8% ABV (light sweet German Riesling)
- Spätlese Riesling 8.5% ABV (rich sweet German Riesling)
- Alsace Blanc 9%–10% ABV (France)
- Muscadet 9.5% ABV (France)
- Shiraz ~15.5% ABV (Australia)
- Grenache-Syrah-Mourvèdre 15.5% ABV (California and Australia)
- Zinfandel up to 16% ABV (California)
- Late Harvest Dessert Wine 15–17% ABV
- Sherry 15–20% ABV (Spain)
- Port and Tawny Port ~20% ABV (Portugal)
- Banyuls and Maury ~20% ABV (France)
- Madeira ~20% ABV (Portugal)
- Marsala ~20% ABV (Sicily)
- Aromatized Wine (Vermouth) 20% ABV
The affordable best red wine has all the flavors in it beautifully that every sip comprises of clear flavors. Here are some red wine brand names available in India for INR 1000.
Which is the Best Red Wine in India?
- Winery: York Winery
- Region – Country: Nashik Valley – India
- Grape Variety: Shiraz & Cabernet Sauvignon
- Alcohol Content: 12.5 to 13.5% vol
- York Arros taste: With 13 months of aging in French and American Oak barrels it has a taste of bit chalky with a burst or cranberry or jammy one.
- Food pairing: Steak, tandoori snacks, etc.
- Pay: 450 INR for 750 ml
Probably the best cheap sweet wine York Winery is in India.
Fratelli Chenin Blanc
- Winery: Chenin Blanc
- Region – Country: France
- Grape Variety: Chenin blanc
- Alcohol Content: 13% vol
- Fratelli Chenin Blanc taste: Lusciously sweet but light in taste.
- Food pairing: Fresh oysters, Lemon meringue pie
- Pay: 739 INR for 750 ml
- Winery: Sula Vineyards
- Region – Country: Nashik, India
- Grape Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Zinfandel and Tempranillo
- Alcohol Content: 11-13% vol
- Suna red wine taste: Sweet best red wine in India under 1000 tastes like pineapple and honey as well as lemon.
- Food pairing: Foods with a high level of acid like fresh tomato dishes and pickled salads.
- Pay: 870 INR for 750 ml
Port Wine (Vinho Do Porto)
- Winery: Douro region
- Region – Country: Portugal
- Grape Variety: Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo), Touriga Francesa, and Touriga Nacional
- Alcohol Content: 20% vol
- Port Wine taste: Sweet, red wine
- Food pairing: Olives, Almonds, Desserts, and Salads.
- Pay: 210 INR for 750 ml
It has a wine content of over 19-20% alcohol means slightly more than unfortified wines. Port wine is one of the cheap and best red wines in India under 1000 Rs.
- Winery: Africa
- Region – Country: Africa
- Grape Variety: Sercial, Verdelho, Bual and Malvasia
- Alcohol Content: 18-20% vol
- Madeira Wine taste: Something like Caramel and roasted nuts
- Food pairing: Dark Chocolate, Cheese, Nuts, Green apple or Goat
- Pay: 990 INR for 750 ml (may be different for regions)
Madeira wine is probably the best wine to get drunk at affordable prices.
Red Wine v/s White Wine
Indian Red wine has:
- Higher levels of Tannin
- Higher level of alcohol
- Heavier body
- Different flavor profile
- Potentially increased complexity
How To Make Wine at Home?
With the right tools and ingredients, the best red wine in India under 1000 can be brewed at home as well.
- 16 cups of fruit (preferable grapes)
- 2 cups honey
- 1 packet yeast
- Filtered water
Easiest Method to Make Wine at Home:
- Take fruits and clean them by taking off the stems and leaves to remove any kind of dirt. Grapes can either be peeled or not, depending on the preference.
- Crush the fruits and collect their juice to add honey to them. Add a Campden tablet but this is an option.
- Now, cover the mixture and leave it overnight at a temperature of 70 degrees celsius.
- After 3 or 4 hours every day, stir the mixture for about a month.
- Voila, homemade red wine is ready now.
- Preserve your homemade Indian red wine in a dark-colored bottle. Also, do not use metal vessels to store it.
Basic Rules and Etiquette for Red Wine Lovers:
- Always hold your red wine glass by the stem or base.
- Most wine glasses are made according to smell it so considers them the same by sniffing and taste it.
- Try to open your red wine bottle quietly.
- About to pour wine? Well, hold it towards the base with simplicity.
- Keep the wine glass half-filled to let the fragrance roam in the glass and also it will look more classic.
- We discussed above red wine temperatures that make it even lasts longer so prefer it accordingly.
- Everyone has different choices for red wines in India but still if you like it make sure to complement it or maybe even if you don’t. Speak up about your preferences but with manners.
- Try everything but never compromise with your choices for the flavors.
- Never, never forget to click the glasses before having the red wine but do it very politely.
Life tip: If you are having a bottle of bold red wine then it can be consumed in up to 10 days but mild wines last for 3 days after its opening. Red Wine Brands have a shelf life of 1 to 2 weeks.
Hope you like this guide for the best red wine in India under 1000, let us know about your views in the comment section below.