You won’t believe it, but in Logo Design, one of the most stainless must of graphics is still the old freehand drawing. Even if to use it you have to transfer it to digital, manual graphics are one of the trends of 2020, both online and offline. Follow all our tips to know how to draw a freehand logo, and find out what difference it makes in the world of visual marketing.
Not everyone manages to draw a freehand logo, despite being good graphics. You may have already noticed this by looking at some successful Graphic Designers who invented brands of large companies. But don’t be afraid: these gentlemen have innate synthesis and geometric design skills.
The rest is done years and years of exercise in the fingers. Maybe you watched a tutorial, true monster of Graphic Design lettering and now you think you will never be so good. Before giving up though, know that there are various ways to draw a freehand logo, achieving excellent results. To achieve your goals, we recommend two things above all:
- Assess your skills. If you have never drawn freehand, but you are passionate about it, exercising and some tricks will make you acquire safety and, over time, skill.
- Decide whether to draw a freehand logo is suitable for your client’s target and above all for their spending budget. Documented by reading some experience or some statistics, they will clarify your ideas on how to manage this leap in quality
The choices to make before knowing how to draw a freehand logo.
You are well determined to learn how to draw a freehand logo; before you start make some basic choices:
- How the best logo should be made for your customer. Decide if the lettering is enough or just the image or maybe both. Include the company name in the logo if it is particular, but is not yet known. Especially if it needs to increase the identity brand in the market.
- Do not include the name, however, if it is generic, too long, not translatable abroad or banal
- Start designing the logo in its smallest size. It counts as a readability check and will also be more precise
- Don’t go off topic when choosing the color. If your customer has been using certain colors in the brand, advertising or visual marketing or any amazon ungating service 2019 for some time, try to reuse them creatively. If, on the other hand, you do not have precise indications, it is a re branding or a start-up, study the psychology of colors before getting the pens with the suitable ink.
How To Draw A Freehand Logo: Which Pens You Need To Get?
You have studied the Logo Design and found that a manual draft, on the dear old paper, has a greater chance of pleasing customers. This is because the freehand drawn logo is never standard, repetitive or imitable. On the contrary, it is unique, personalized and liked by large companies, to the point that it often becomes a cult.
Apple, Nike, Intel, The New York Times, H&M, are just some of the brands that have chosen freehand lettering, for example. To get to invent an original and unique logo, in addition to imagination, marketing info and a good artistic culture, you need to get the right tools. Here are the pens basic that we recommend you experiment:
- Oblique point pens: they are used to draw contour lines that become thinner and thicker, tilting them on the sheet. So you will give depth and dynamism to the silhouettes
- Bent or “dominant” feathers, which make a wider and flatter stroke
- Ballpoint pens and fountain pens: the former for a “round” stroke, the latter for Gothic-style letters or angular shapes
- Pointed brush pens: the variable pressure on the sheet gives a fluid and organic style. Ideal for rounded shapes.
- Copic Wide Marker, a wide tip marker for bold or italic writing on a larger scale
- Automatic Wide Dip pen, for thin and sharp lines. Excellent for black italic fonts
- Trio marker for children. Yes, it is a marker used in kindergarten that draws stripes of soft colors, a trend that will go a lot in the next year in Graphic Design
How To Draw A Freehand Logo: Useful Tips To Get Started
Do you still have in mind the accelerated images that published on social media, which with a pen perfectly draws a famous logo on a white sheet? That result is achieved with talent and exercise, but there are tricks to learn. For example:
- Get the right support: graph paper (you can find it in the stationery shop) or even simply squared. It will help you practice the lines using the pen directly
- If you don’t feel like using the pen right away, make a pencil drawing, but never erase. Also keep the sheets with the “wrong” drawings that you don’t like. They can always give you an idea
- Start with fine-tipped pens to draw small shapes. They will be more precise and the result will encourage you
- To construct curvilinear shapes, use the squared: you don’t necessarily have to immediately draw a whole semicircle, but you can build the pieces one by one, joining them. Or trace a series of consecutive dots, at precise distances on the squared, and trace them with the pen. Strive not to use the line, training you will succeed
- Always draw and redraw the same shape, without getting tired. After a while you will notice that it is easy for you, at which point you can introduce a variant
- Put all the ideas that come to you on the sheet, in order to compare them. Often the final logo comes out of the union of several versions of the sketch
How To Draw A Freehand Logo That Works In Digital?
It’s time to check if your freehand drawn logo works in digital. First consider the different uses: newspaper advertising, signature, website, corporate gadgets…
The freehand logo is unique, unrepeatable and nowhere to be found in online bookstores
On the created file there will be the logo in all its versions, from the largest to the smallest. Eye that, if the logo has many details or very thin lines, these elements on small scales are lost, or can be confusing. Conversely, by enlarging it, the image of the logo can “empty” when it is too simple. If you followed the right tips in freehand drawing, it is not difficult to get a sketch that also works in a digital version.
We recommend that you check the graphics with Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape. The sure thing is that the logo you have created will be unique, unavailable in online bookstores. A value that your customer will appreciate when he sees the positive effects on the Identity brand.
Now that you know how to draw a freehand logo, start experimenting with your pens right away. In the next year you could become a highly sought after Graphic Designer!
My name is Henry and i just love to share reliable information about Health, Beauty, Games etc. I am writing informational content and guides since 2014.